Wednesday, June 5, 2013

More Toledo Museum of Art

a room from a chateau in the Loire valley
 

 
a room of "Baroque Splendor"


 
Man with a Wine Glass by Velazquez

I don't want to bore you with going step by step through this museum and you can browse the collection at www.toledomuseum.org/ ‎
There was a study of the waterlilies by Monet, Van Gogh, and all the other big names, but what I’ve included in the pictures this time is the feel of the museum and some of my favorite pieces that had nothing to do with who did them or when they were painted, but their impact as I walked at a very fast clip through this very large museum.  Which leads me to a rant:  how do museums look so doable on the outside and then there is so much more once you get inside?  I think that all museums are a little like the Tardis in Dr. Who, it’s bigger on the inside.  I always get deceived into thinking that it won’t take that much time, but it does.  I guess one big square on the outside belies the
number of walls and little rooms of walls that you can put into a big square to create the space for these pieces.  The Toledo museum also did a fine job of putting all of their furniture, chandeliers, etc in every room, so everything that you were looking at was a piece of art. 
Lake Nemi, Italy by Gifford

So, these are the works that made me laugh out loud, like the Velazquez Lothario who still makes me smile because he looks so happy to have a glass of wine.  I loved the displays of the art in rooms, the display of rooms from other houses inside the museum and the sun on Lake Nemi that I could feel shining out from the picture.

We got to see great works by Renoir as pictured here to the right and Rodin below. Again, I was taken aback by the way that they just add the atmosphere into the museum as shown in the cloisters at the end with medieval pieces and stained glass surrounding it.  Too much museum to be done in 2 hours.

2 comments:

  1. Love the Toledo Museum. Once when I was there with friends we were speaking to one of the guards and he said that Vincent Price visited the museum often. Of course, you may not know who Vincent Price is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do know how Vincent Price is, but mainly as the great voice in Michael Jackson's thriller. I haven't take the time to watch him much, but that voice...priceless, um, I didn't mean to do that...

    ReplyDelete